Learn how to plan a girls trip without ruining your friendship.
A girls trip is hands down the best travel getaway you can ever imagine – especially if you’re doing it with your gang. But its success boils down to only one thing – planning.
Well, I am writing this from experience. My girls and I drove down to Malindi, and it was memorable. The matching blue short pants and white tops, the all-white little dresses, and so on – we had it all figured out.
Or at least we thought we did.
See, this was our second girls trip. The first one was in Diani – and we stayed at one of the girl’s house. So, no one had to worry about accommodation or food. We also didn’t worry about fun things to do in Diani or places to visit. Our friend, who doubled up as a tour guide, took care of all that.
Now, we were venturing to some new town on the second trip. We had yet to go to Malindi. Things were not very straightforward.
But I am grateful for the experience as it taught me valuable lessons on planning a girls trip. If you and your homegirls are planning something similar, here’s what you need to do:
Also Read: 6 tips for an amazing solo travel
Decide on a Budget
There are several important factors to consider when planning a girls trip, and the chief among these is budgeting. Deciding how much money you can afford to spend on your trip sets the tone for the rest of your planning process as it will dictate other key considerations like:
- Your destination
- The length of travel time
- Your activities
If you don’t know your budget, it won’t be easy to decide where you want to go or how much you can spend on specific activities. It also becomes easier for costs and unexpected expenses to spiral out of control.
My friends and I had a budget for our girls trip to Malindi. We had set aside $30 each for accommodation and food. Each person was to carry their money and only contribute when we had to pay for something. Depending on how you plan, this can be a great approach. However, I’ll point out later why combining the money can be a good idea before setting out for the trip.
Tips for Budgeting for your Girls Trip
At the outset, it is crucial to recognize that there is no “one size fits all” approach to budgeting for a girls trip. Different trips require different spending levels depending on your destination and planned activities.
For example, if you’re planning a long-haul trip and looking for new cultural experiences, you may need to allocate more money for activities or transportation than you would for a shorter weekend getaway at a local hotel. Likewise, if you want to go on pricey excursions such as ziplining or water sports, you’ll need to carefully consider how much money you’re willing to spend ahead of time so that you don’t end up going over budget during the trip itself and being disappointed in what little spending money you have left.
Here are budget tips when you plan a girls trip
- Let the team propose an amount
- Discuss and agree on an amount
- Decide whether you’ll have one person collect the money – or if each person will keep the money. The former is better for planning reasons and ensuring unity in everything.
- Stick to the budget while on a trip, especially if one friend cannot go over their expected expenses.
It can be tough to talk about money with friends. But ensuring all girls are aware of their spending expectations can address any concerns upfront and minimize potential tension.
Agree on a Destination
The next step is to agree on a destination. This can be tricky, especially if you have friends with different travel preferences. Some may want to go somewhere warm and sunny, while others prefer a more low-key location. If you’re having trouble agreeing on a single destination, try brainstorming a list of potential places to visit and then voting on your favorite option.
We were able to come up with a destination easily. We all wanted the coastal regions of Kenya. And since we had already visited Diani on the south coast, we all agreed to go the opposite way, Malindi, on the north coast.
Also Read: House of Column, Malindi
Tips for Choosing a Travel Destination
When choosing a destination for your girls trip, there are a few key factors to keep in mind, such as:
- The time of year you want to travel – If you’re looking to avoid crowds, it’s best to travel during the shoulder season or off-season. This will also help you save money on flights and accommodation.
- Your group’s interests – If your friends are all foodies, for instance, choosing a destination known for its culinary scene can make for a more enjoyable trip. Similarly, if your friends are all nature lovers, picking a place with plenty of outdoor activities will ensure everyone has a good time.
- Your budget – The most important factor to consider when choosing a destination is your budget. If you’re traveling on a tight budget, it’s important to choose a place where you can easily find affordable accommodation and activities. But if you’re splurging, consider a luxury destination.
- The types of activities you want – If you’re interested in watching the game and exploring the bushes, a safari can be a perfect getaway with your girls. And if you want to sunbathe in bikinis, consider a beach vacation.
- Time constraints: if you only have a few days or weeks to travel, you’ll need to choose a destination that is easy to reach. You want to save time on the road.
Agree on a Date
Once you’ve chosen your destination, the next step is to agree on a date. This may involve considering each person’s work and family commitments, school holidays, and other factors affecting everyone’s availability. The idea is to ensure no one misses the moment. When you agree on a date, have everyone mark it on their calendars, so everyone is on the same page. Consider a date that’s 3 to 4 months away so you can take advantage of transport and accommodation deals.
Book your Accommodation and Transport in Advance
Some people prefer booking accommodation and transport once they arrive at their destination, but it’s always better to book these in advance. This allows you to be organized, save money and time – especially important if you’re on a tight budget. Booking your flights and accommodation early allows you to compare different options to get the best deals. It also allows you to have more control over your travel arrangements.
By securing these items well ahead of time, you will be able to get the best deals and ensure that everything is arranged exactly how you want. It will also help remove any uncertainty or last-minute stress that can often occur when traveling with a group.
Make Your Wardrobe Selection
This is the most exciting part of the planning process! Once you’ve decided on a destination and secured your flights and accommodation, start sifting through your wardrobe to decide what you want to bring on your girls trip. Pack plenty of bikinis, cover-ups, and sandals if you’re headed to the beach. For a safari getaway, bring neutral-colored items in breathable fabrics. And for a city break, stock up on stylish dresses and comfortable shoes that can take you from the museum to the bar.
While on it, remember that you and your squad will have to coordinate a look for at least one day – for the gram. Whether it’s matching swimsuits, floral dresses, or even neon-colored jumpsuits, plan out your outfits so you can hit the ground running as soon as you arrive.
Plan a Few Activities
It’s important to plan a few activities before you travel so that everyone knows what to expect and can look forward to the experience. Research the local attractions in your chosen destination and make sure there’s something for everyone. Whether it’s a cooking class, surf lessons, or a wine-tasting session – find activities that will pique your group’s interest and ensure everyone has something to do during the trip.
Incorporate Some Downtime
Also, consider incorporating some downtime into your itinerary. This will allow you to sit back and relax or explore the area on your own. Remember to leave a few nights open for dinner and drinks – it’s always nice to have an excuse to dress up and enjoy the nightlife.
No matter how much you plan, there’s still a chance that things will go differently than expected. You may miss your flight or be delayed at the airport. When this happens, it’s important to remain flexible and adapt to the situation – because sometimes those unexpected changes can lead to some of the most memorable experiences!
Quick Tips for Planning a Girls Trip
A lot goes into planning a girls trip, from booking flights and accommodation to creating the perfect wardrobe. To make sure the planning process goes smoothly and that everyone has a good time, here are a few quick tips:
- Set a realistic budget: This will help you plan activities and meals that work for everyone.
- Pick your priority: Decide whether your priority is accommodation or destination. If you spend more time in a hotel, you might lean towards accommodation. But if you’re all about the destination and its attractions, then a rental might be a better option.
- Understand what your girls need: A successful girls trip will align with what your girls need most. If they’ve been overwhelmed with responsibilities, a vacation with spa treatments and relaxation might be what they need.
- Be decisive: Don’t overwhelm your girls with options when planning the trip – they will rarely agree. Instead, make decisions ahead and present a plan for everyone to look forward to. You may even take the mystery trip approach, where you only reveal the details on the day of your departure.
- Find accommodations that encourage togetherness: Whether you’re staying in a hotel, an Airbnb, or a hostel – make sure the accommodation has enough space for everyone to hang out together.
- Be accommodative: Everyone will have different needs and expectations on the trip. Make sure you consider everyone’s desires, so everyone is happy and having a great time.
- Try something new: Don’t just stick to the same activities – encourage everyone to try something new. That could mean going on a skydiving adventure or trying out a foreign cuisine.
- Keep an open mind: You don’t have to plan every second of the trip – leave some room for spontaneity and unexpected adventures. By following these tips
By taking some time to plan your girls trip, you can ensure that it’s an enjoyable experience for everyone. Follow these tips, and before you know it, you’ll be on your way to making beautiful memories with your besties. Bon voyage!
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Plan a Girls Trip
What are some girly activities on a girls trip?
Some girly activities you could do on a trip include spa days, shopping sprees, and cooking classes. You could also go for wine tastings, take a dance class together or have a movie night with friends.
What should I pack for a girls trip?
When packing for your girls trip, it’s best to plan. Make sure you bring all the essentials like comfortable shoes, a few dresses, and swimwear. Also, remember your toiletries, phone charger, and any medication you might need.
What are some tips for planning a successful girls trip?
Some tips for planning a successful girls trip include setting a realistic budget, picking a priority, understanding what everyone needs, being decisive, and finding accommodations that encourage togetherness. Additionally, be accommodating to everyone’s desires and try something new. Lastly, leave some room for spontaneity and unexpected adventures.
How do you ensure everyone has a good time on a girls trip?
To ensure everyone has a good time on a girls trip, start by understanding what everyone needs. Make sure you take those desires into account when planning activities and meals. Additionally, be accommodating to everyone’s ideas and ensure that the accommodations allow for plenty of togetherness. Finally, leave room for spontaneity so that everyone can enjoy unexpected adventures.